"The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you." II Corinthians 13:14 (The Message)


Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Comfort Zones

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13



Well, it has been a few days since I made a blog post. For my blogging companions, I did not die. I have decided to go on The 17 Day Diet that Dr. Mike Moreno created. I was drawn to this diet because one of my sisters has lost over 30 pounds on it. I poured over his book all weekend and finally took the plunge on Monday.

Let me give you a little family background. My family has a lot of German in them. I, however, was adopted and by looking at me you would say that I have zero 'Germans in the woodpile'. This means that they love junk like sauerkraut, brussel sprouts, and cabbage. So, when the program calls for things like kefir, acidophilus milk, yakult, breakstone LiveActive cottage cheese, reduced salt miso,tempeh, and kimchi, they are jumping up and down and yelling, "Yay!" Where am I? I'm still stuck on the second word, acidophilus, trying to sound it out! I mean, really?! Where do you even begin to find this stuff in the grocery store? Does it even exist in America? Is it for humans, or should I be looking in the cat food section?

So, I decided to go with what I did recognize and have now had a steady diet the last three days of boiled eggs, fruit, salad, tuna, baked chicken, spinach, and asparagus.

While all of these are great, they have a tendency to get a little old. I have now decided that I'm going to have to venture outside of my comfort zone and experiment with some things that I can't pronounce. Otherwise, I'm not going to make it.

It's so easy to get caught in the trap of comfort zones. Food is just a small comfort zone, but there are much larger ones that I need to conquer like learning to approach someone and begin a conversation. My husband has that gift, and even though I have made fun of him for it over the years, I'm actually quite jealous of his talent. There are many others that I need to conquer that I know would make life so much more enjoyable just like learning new foods might just make this diet tolerable for me.

I know I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Whenever I find myself getting 'stuck' in a comfort zone, I remember that scripture and most of the time I can work my way through it. It might look like the mess that was on my plate tonight, but it was attempted and that's a start!

Blessings,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment