"The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you." II Corinthians 13:14 (The Message)


Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Mother Trumps All Mothers

A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.
She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!
Proverbs 31 (The Message)

My mother has exuded this scripture her entire life.  As a child, I didn't fully appreciate the incredible strength and courage that she possessed.  In this month of thanksgiving, I am inordinately grateful to her for the example that she set for me from the time I was a small child until now.

As children we don't realize the things that are placed in our paths that will either help or harm later in life, but  I can now say without question that if it had not been for my mother, I would not be the strong and courageous woman that I am today.  I would not have survived the past two years without the strength she exemplified.

My father died at the young age of 51 and left her with three children to raise (two others were already grown and married).  I was a sixth grader, the next was a senior in high school, and the third was a freshman in college.  My father had irons in several business fires.  She, thankfully, was his bookkeeper, so she at least knew what investments he had and the value of his companies; however, this happened during a time period that was definitely a man's world.  She successfully sold all of his assets, invested wisely, and put three children through college.  None of use had school loans to pay when we finished.

Many would have folded under the pressure and stress of all of that, but my mother, at least to my knowledge, never had a pity party.  I know she grieved, but she didn't allow her grief to rule her life or become an excuse to shirk her responsibilities.  She never blamed God for the hand she was dealt.  In fact, she made sure that we attended church regularly and attended Christian colleges.  She taught us the value of honesty, loyalty, forgiveness, and kindness to others.  She took and still takes every opportunity to praise God and find the value in all hardships. 

I know I didn't show her the gratitude she deserved when I was younger, but I hope she sees the strength in me that was placed there by her.  You never really know how strong you can be until you don't have any other choice.  I'm thankful that someone went before me and set that example.  It would have been so much harder without that foundation.  On those days when I really wanted to crawl in a hole and never come out, my mother's strength  gave me the courage to get back up and walk again.

So, during this month of thanksgiving, she is at the top of my list.  If I can just pass on a tenth of what she has given me to my girls, I will feel successful. 

Blessings,
Penny Fell

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your mom and what a legacy she has made!

    ReplyDelete