"The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you." II Corinthians 13:14 (The Message)


Sunday, January 1, 2012

Things That Matter: Self-Worth

"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." Buddha

If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. Someone once said, "There are certain people who aren't meant to fit into your life no matter how much you want them to." Sometimes you have to make the difficult choice to cut off toxic relationships for your own sake. People who attempt to make you feel inferior or worthless have no place in your life.

Ephesians 4:29 states, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." This scripture places an incredible responsibility on us to make sure we say things to others that will encourage; however, I believe there is another way to look at this scripture. If you are constantly around those who discourage you and make you feel as if you are worthless, it will be difficult to be encouraging to other people. One of the things I struggled with for a long time was self-worth, and passing judgment on other people was an attempt to make myself feel better about me. Judging others became such a petty past time once I realized my worth and value.

Acknowledging my worth came with a price tag, though. I have had to remove myself from certain situations and make difficult choices along the way. I have had to teach other people how to treat me. It is a daily struggle for me but one I am determined to conquer for my own sake.

Take care of yourself today and for the rest of your life. You're worth it.

Blessings,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment