"The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you." II Corinthians 13:14 (The Message)


Sunday, October 23, 2011

Heroes: Look in your own Backyard!


"According to the researchers, children who identified a father or father figure scored higher on basic learning skill tests and had a stronger sense of competence and social acceptance compared to children without fathers" (University of Maryland Medical Center). The study also showed, "...children who have fathers in their lives learn better, have higher self-esteem and show fewer signs of depression than children without fathers" (http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/fathers2.htm).

Our Bible class today talked about the responsibility our men have to taking the role God gave to them seriously in leading their families spiritually. At some point during class, someone pointed out the opportunity that men have when a child loses a father to step in and be that role model for them.

When I was 12-years-old, my father died. There was a man at our church who recognized that opportunity. He had three grown girls of his own and by all rights had already done his part for the cause; however, God placed another burden on his heart, and he listened.

This man came to almost every basketball game, including the ones out of town, that I played. He taught me how to drive. His house was a second home to me whenever I needed it. And, when the time came, he stepped in for my father and walked me down the aisle on my wedding day and gave me away as if I were his own child.

There are no words to describe the impression this man made on my life. He was a Godly man, full of courage and dedication to his family and to God. When God placed something on his heart, he didn't question it. He didn't tell God that he didn't feel like it or that he had already raised his family. He always left me with the impression that he really wanted to be a part of my life. His face lit up every time he saw me.

If only the majority of the real fathers would take their role as seriously, this world would be so much healthier!

Thank you, I.E. Martin, for being a hero in my life. I know that you are now enjoying a place in heaven that God has prepared for his faithful followers.

Blessings,
Penny

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, I loved Uncle I.E. and Aunt Zell so much. They were there for all of us, but what they did for you and Mother after Daddy died was truly being servant Christian. I know that Uncle I.E. is looking down from Heaven right now and smiling at you. He has a coffee cup in one hand and a greasy rag in the other hand and Aunt Zell is standing right beside him with a big smile and saying, "Ya'll come on in!!" Thank you for doing this blog, you continually inspire all of us. I love you sis, Patti

    ReplyDelete